Tobacco Prevention Specialist
TITLE: Tobacco Prevention Specialist
REPORTS TO: Prevention Resource Center Director
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY:
The Tobacco Prevention Specialist is responsible for assisting the Prevention Resource Center Region 8 staff with the coordination and implementation of all tobacco prevention required by the Texas Prevention Resource Center in Health and Human Services Region 8.
- Assist in the development of minors and tobacco prevention strategies to include community education, retail merchant education, and media and community awareness in Health and Human Services Region 8.
- Visit a minimum of 150 retailers per month to request voluntary compliance with the state law including checking for proper state signage, a current retailer license to sell tobacco and checking to see if all tobacco products are behind the counter or locked up.
- Provide each retailer contacted with a packet of information on current state law requirements regarding minors and tobacco, employee/employer training resources, and general information in seeking assistance to ensure compliance with the state law.
- Place a minimum of 25 follow-up calls a month to retailers after three months to check for continuing compliance and retailer education needs for new hires.
- Provide materials, resources and data regarding tobacco prevention, health issues, tobacco news updates, and cessation and quit smoking resources throughout Health and Human Services Region 8.
- Assist the PRC Coordinator with the development of public service announcements to make available to the local radio stations HHS Region 8.
- Assist in the development of presentation and education materials pertaining tobacco prevention that can be made available via the PRC website to Health and Human Services Region 8.
- Assist in assessing community education needs regarding minors and tobacco, by contacting schools and other prevention organizations, as well as other social service agencies.
- Assess and order tobacco prevention material as needed for Health and Human Services Region 8.
- Participate in/identify local tobacco coalitions in HHS Region 8, maintaining contact with coalitions and provide current resources as needed.
- Identify communities within HHS Region 8 with tobacco coalitions, or those seeking to establish a tobacco coalition in need of training and resources, and assist them in accessing these services.
- Complete appropriate presentation and program documentation..
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/TRAINING WORK EXPERIENCE/SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent
- Must attend the required 40 Substance Abuse Prevention Specialists Training
- A knowledge of the Bexar County and surrounding areas
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations
- Demonstrated knowledge in substance abuse prevention.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community-based social and human services systems and resources.
- Must be able to lift, pull, and carry up to 30 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation and provide your own transportation to and from schools and community assignments. You will be reimbursed for mileage at the rate allowed by State programs.
- Must be able to work occasional outdoor activities and handle outdoor environmental elements.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends when needed.
In addition to the above, the Prevention Specialist shall demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and goals of the San Antonio Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse and a level of energy commensurate with the Council’s expectations.
HOURS: Full Time Position (40 hours per work week) with flexible schedule.
TRAVEL: Local travel about 10% – 20% of time.
SALARY: $22,000 – $25,000 including benefits, paid holidays and vacation/sick time after 90 day introductory period with program.
Make a Difference
Search this Site
Join our Team
Follow Us on Social Media
Nov 2017SACADA closed in observance of Thanksgiving Day
11/23/2017 - All Day
SACADA closed in observance of Day after Thanksgiving
11/24/2017 - All Day
Dec 2017First Friday Workshops - AM Session
12/01/2017 - 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
First Friday Workshops - PM Session
12/01/2017 - 1:30 pm - 4:30 pm
State Approved 46-Hour Recovery Coach Training
12/04/2017 - 12/13/2017 - 12:00 am
Synthetic Drug Workgroup Meeting
12/15/2017 - 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
DWI Education Course (1st Time Offense) - Friday
12/15/2017 - 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
DWI Education Course (1st Time Offense) - Saturday
12/16/2017 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
DWI Education Course (1st Time Offense) - Sunday
12/17/2017 - 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
SACADA closed in observance of Christmas Day
12/25/2017 - All Day